Monday, December 19, 2005

So

as of today I am more or less alone here. Gustavo, Alison, and Ju are off to the US for a month. I wish I could have seen Alison's face when Gustavo suprised her at the Sao Paulo airport (he was supposed to be on a flight a few days later). I really think she had absolutely no idea.

Anyway, so now I have the house all to myself. and the cats. It's very empty-feeling and the porterios keep scaring me because they keep popping their head in the window to let me know that they're around if i need any help. Which is very nice, and what is also nice is the amount of people that have offered to let me spend Christmas and/or New Years with them. Six, i think, so far. I agreed first to go with Marcos, my chiropractor, and his family out to Guarajuba (sp?) where they rent a house on the beach for a week. His wife is leaving on Christmas Eve and he said I could get a ride out there with her, then head back with her again the next day. He spent a few years living in Michigan, so I guess he knows what it's like to be without family, and I am very grateful for the offer.

Besides that, I spent yesterday at a churrasco at Nate and Debbie's condo complex, it was a lot of fun, everyone got really drunk, especially the old folks. It's absolutely amazing how much better my portuguese is after a roska (vodka, mashed up fruit, sugar, ice) or two.

oh, and my camera? it's dead. R$200 to fix it, almost what it would cost to buy it again. Hopefully Santa will bring me Davey's old one or a new one from the US. I just need to figure out who Santa will be, and if he can get through customs with my electronic goodies without paying taxes.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Santa gets you a new camera for the Christmas, can Santa count on many delicious bikini pictures of his quite gracious and shapely recipient?

Anonymous said...

who is that sicko anonymous, he must be blind, mom ordered 4 digital cameras, but none are for you, which kind of sucks i guess but i am getting one so i can send you pictures of the paradise that is east lansing. ps kelsey says hi

Anonymous said...

What are porterios, and why are they looking in the window?
Have you decided what your doing on Christmas yet?

sheila said...

i really hope that's not my mom with such horrendous grammar

Anonymous said...

I'm not blind. Granted, I can't see particularly well; but I'm not blind.

I have fantastic auditory capabilities, though. One time I heard Sheila kiss some guy. I still talk to my psychiatrist about it.

Anonymous said...

Sheila.. you shouldn't comment on your mom's grammar. She saved my life and made it possible for me to graduate. I am forever indebted to her and her miraculous editing on my senior thesis.

I'm sorry about your camera though. My parents gave me money to buy a camera for my birthday but I still have yet to do so. After Christmas shopping and subsequent spending on my new car I don't think I'll be buying it anytime soon.

I had a really bad day at work yesterday and am planning my new escape.. possibly Taiwan. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll ask again.
What are porterios,and why are they looking in the window?
Have you decided what YOU"RE doing for Christmas yet?
Amy, thank you for your kind words.
And Anonymous - you sound absolutely fascinating. Your psychiatry appointments must be very interesting.

sheila said...

mom, porteiros are the guys who open and close the door so we can go in and out...rather, they unlock the door. kind of like security. and they do random work around the condo compex.
and i think i am going to a place called guarajuba, it's a beach town, with my chiropractor and his family. they rent a house on the beach. i'm really not up for more beach time cause i got burned today, but we'll see what happens.

amy, taiwan? what. korea is where the money is to be made...let's go. i'll be ready around june probably.

Anonymous said...

you can teach english in korea illegaly for 100 dollars or more an hour

Anonymous said...

See the thing is Sheila.. I want Mandarin to be my next language to learn. So it would make more sense to go to Taiwan than Korea. Plus, I'd like to learn Chinese before it becomes mandatory. (You know, circa 2030 or possibly eariler.)

Why does it have to cost so much to fly to Brazil? I REALLY want to come -- I check incessantly at work thinking that it's somehow going to change from one hour to the next. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Okay Sheila.. so maybe you were right about Korea. I've been looking around and it seems unbelievable! They pay for housing, insurance, round trip flight, and a great salary! Whoa! Hmm... I guess I could learn Korean and then Mandarin... (sorry Mrs. Sullivan for putting more crazy ideas into Sheila's head.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheila....I'm thinking of you at Christmas. So sorry you are alone. We will miss you at Aunt Beth's. Have fun on the beach!

Anonymous said...

What? Teaching? Money? Korea? Too bad I don't have a teaching certificate. :(