Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Chapada Diamantina

This is how our trip started off- rain, more rain, harder rain, downpour...



Wandering around Lencois in the rain:



A cute bug. Caitlin and I were hanging out in the bus station in Lencois, waiting for a bus to Palmeiras. I was talking to two interesting characters there, one of them picked this bug up and kissed it on the mouth, to prove to Caitlin it wasn't dangerous:


A collection of random things found in the drawer at our creepy pousada in Palmeiras:


Weirdest night ever. Our overly pink room:


We finally found ourselves a ride to our final destination, Capao. An hour on what was by FAR the worst dirt road I have ever seen in my entire life, in what was also probably the worst car I have ever ridden in. It wasn't pretty, but at least it got us there:


In Capao, taking a walk:

Other sights from the walk, like this milipede/centipede-y thing. I have a great video of it walking, if I can figure out some way to put it online I'll let you all know. (And yes, I have more interesting videos to post as well):


A snake!

Me walking:


The next day Caitlin and I decided to hike to the Fumaca waterfall, against everyone's advice, without a guide. The trail was pretty easy to follow, in retrospect, a guide would have been a waste of money. Here is part of a cool mini waterfall along the way, the water has cut the stone into these squares:

Me and incoming rain, which thankfully didn't ever make it near us:

We were up high:


Part of the trail, the rock (sandstone?) has been worn down by the water:


Another part of the trail, we had to be pretty nimble on our toes here:


Finally to Fumaca (and since I can't type Portuguese accents on my keyboard, that's pronounced Foo-ma-sa). It was way better than we thought it would be:

And way higher up. You really can't visualize how big and deserted this all was from a picture. Imagine being the only people at the Grand Canyon and you get the idea:

Clouds starting to roll in..


The pond we had to traverse:


Caitlin pondering how to cross:


This is the shallow part:


The view on the hike back:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"We finally found ourselves a ride to our final destination, Capao."

Riding in that thing, I'd have guessed that your final destination would have been more 'final.'

Leo said...

Thanks for the wonderful pics. I missed my opportunity to actually get out of the city and see something green when I was in Bahia. The biggest mounds I saw in Brazil where on a person, and thats a whole other story. ;- )

Dang...your friends are all grammer nazis. They forget how hard it is to switch from one language to another. They should be summarily beaten with large bananas. Ooo...now there's an image.