Saturday, April 15, 2006

Barra Grande

Wednesday MJ and I headed to Barra Grande, on a peninsula south of Salvador. It was a looong, hot trip there. First a 45 minute bus ride, quick taxi ride, catamaran to the island, 3 hour bus ride to Camumu, followed by a half hour speed boat trip to finally reach Barra Grande.
These pictures are only slightly out of order...

Camumu:
Not a river I would want to live on:

This one is much better:

On the speed boat:

Staying at the Pousada Iglu (igloo). It had a place to sleep and a bathroom, and for R$30 you can't beat that:

On the beach at Taipus de Fora:



a very cute crab, lucky for him MJ wasn't feeling hungry:

Sorry Leo, these aren't the most flattering pictures of you... Thursday night, at some bar on the beach playing bad trance music:
Sweaty, dancing boys:
Taking a break; Leo, Mj, and Taisa
So, I have no idea what this thing is, perhaps a Brazilian would like to explain for me. The street was lined with stuffed effigies of...i'm not sure what exactly. I was told they get set on fire later? Whatever they are, they're really creepy when you're walking along the street in pitch black darkness:

1 comment:

Leo said...

Sure, post incriminating foto's of me why don't ya.

Now sheila, don't make me retaliate.