Sunday, February 12, 2006

A Tour of Salvador

I finally did a bunch of the touristy stuff this weekend. This will be mostly a bunch of pictures of the city so you guys can get an idea of what i'm enjoying while you sit reading this with cold hands, cold feet, and sky-high heating bills.


The view from the Farol da Barra, or Barra Lighthouse. Those are mostly people fishing out on the rocks:
Here's a picture of the lighthouse itself. It's a famous landmark in town. It used to be a fort way back in the 16th or 17th century- whenever it was that the white people came.

This is a square, usually called Campo Grande, I guess the real name is July 2nd Square. It is supposed to commemerate the independence of Bahia (which came after the rest of Brazil). It's got a bunch of temporary construction stuff up because this is one of the main areas during Carnaval.

The Elevador Lacerda, that takes you from the upper city to the lower city (and vice versa) for 5 centavos. Come here to see tourists.

Some houses that are next to the Elevador, yes people live there, yes this is a touristy area. I think the fact that it has no roof is slightly charming.

In Pelourinho, the really touristy part of town. This is also the oldest part.

One of the three hundred and something churches in Salvador. This one is special because it's some odd kind of baroque, I don't remember exactly.

This is inside another church. I should remember the name but I don't. The whole inside is covered in tons of gold leaf, imagine the walls and ceilings all looking like the background of this picture. It was also very hot inside.

Guess where we are now? Another church, that's right! This is Bonfim, another landmark, and one of the more famous churches in Salvador. Maybe the most famous. Those little colored ribbons are sold outside; people put them on their wrists too. I could tell you a lot of things about this church, it's actually very intersting, but I'm tired. Google it if you're so inclined.

Some kids playing in the ocean:

I think this is part of a museum, but it looks like it used to be a church:

Me inside an art museum. A not very good modern art museum.

Ignore the water bottle and this is a very nice picture:

Another sunset:

4 comments:

Techno said...

The churches are pretty! :D I'll have to post pictures in my blog of some of the ones I visited in Andre's town.

Leo said...

Damn! You have been working on your blog harder than I have been working on mine. If your site is "boring", then mine is just dismal. Got to give you props though. Who says Sheila is not a hard worker.

BTW, when are we going to have our "19 year old day". This is rather amusing considering the girl that I am courting is 19. Maybe she likes to party like that all the time. Hmmm....

Anonymous said...

I like the water bottle.

Anonymous said...

I like the water bottle.